Head start - 1st year programme
Your first year, multiple skills gained
Ready to apply yourself?
Head start – 1st year programme
Our ‘Head Start’ programme is a one-day event specifically designed for First Year law students and Second Year non-law students looking for an introduction to City law. Held here at our London office, the day will comprise of the following:
- An introduction to the industry and to Shearman & Sterling
- The opportunity to meet and question partners, trainees and associates
- An insight into the work of a trainee solicitor and what you can expect from a training contract at a leading international law firm like Shearman & Sterling
- An overview of a deal and insight into our practice areas
- A look at the skills you need to develop in order to become a successful lawyer
- Hints and tips on the recruitment process and how to see yourself by identifying your own brand
“This was more than just an open day – it was actually about putting you in the best possible position for future applications. The day was well structured with opportunities to meet lawyers at every level. Trainees led a task on document editing to show what they might do to a contract and change things depending on the position they were taking for their client. This really stood out as it finally made sense as to what kind of responsibility a trainee will initially have and how this relates into the actual work they do.”
“Overall, the scheme really did give me an insight into an international law firm – the kind of insight that you can’t get by searching a firm online. I definitely developed some of the hidden soft skills I had never previously thought of as being important and am sure I have gained a ‘head start’ on my peers. I took away a great desire to continue working hard towards my aspiration to become a lawyer and would definitely recommend applying.”
The programme will run on the following dates:
- 8 March 2017
- 15 March 2017
Please let us know your preferred date when applying.
How to apply
During the application process we will be looking at a few key things, to decide whether you’re right for us – and whether we’re right for you…
- Your academic performance to date
- Why you would like to perform in the scheme
- What you would like to achieve from the programme
- Why you are interested in Shearman & Sterling
Applications will be accepted until 10 February 2017.